Wednesday, June 6, 2012

CUT FAT, CALORIES AND YOUR GROCERY BILL! MAKE YOUR OWN COOKING SPRAY.


I was on the very last spray in my can of spray canola oil and had zero desire to go to the store to buy more. Sure, I could have just “greased” the pan with some butter or shortening, but that didn’t seem all that appealing either, especially when I remembered the “Make Your Own Cooking Spray” idea!


  • It’s as easy as 1 (pour) – 2 (shake)  - 3 (spray)!
  • It cuts the amount of fat you use when cooking.
  • It saves money!
  • It eliminates nasty additives like BUTANE??
  • No sticky residue build-up on pans!
Well, I don’t know about you….but that is MORE than enough reasons for me to NEVER buy another one of those ridiculously over-priced cans.
Ready to find out how to make it??
To make your own cooking spray……pour oil and water into a spray bottle and shake well before use.
Well OK, that is the EXTREMELY simplified version…but you get the picture. The EXTREMELY complicated version isn’t much different. :-)

Homemade Cooking Spray

 by Natures Nurture
Ingredients
1 part olive oil (or your choice of oil)
5 parts water
1 misting spray bottle
Instructions
Mix in your spray bottle 1 part olive oil to 5 parts water. In my 12 ounce bottle, I poured in 2 ounces of canola oil and added 10 ounces of water. Shake well and you’re done. That’s it. Store in a cool, dark place.
Make sure the bottle you use is a MISTING spray bottle.  (A plant mister would be perfect!)  But the bottle I got at Walmart for about $1.50 works fine too.
I just used plain canola oil because I was out of olive oil. I think I will try that next time. Both worked well. I just prefer the taste, texture, and performance of olive oil.
Finally, just for fun, I printed out a  ”Cooking Spray” label and slapped it on the bottle just so there would be no mistakes. And since most likely the spray bottle will be handled by oily, messy hands in the kitchen, I covered the whole label with clear, packaging tape.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I love how at the end you said "I covered the whole label with clear, packaging tape!" That sounds soo OCD and I know this because this is how I am! LOL :P Too funny!

    ReplyDelete